Join Pontefract Civic Society for a guided tour of Pontefract Town Hall including the Assembly Rooms, Nelson Room, and perhaps a few more nooks and crannies!
A Grade II listed 18th century town hall built in 1785 by Bernard Hartley and the Assembly Rooms were added in 1882.
The Borough Magistrates operated from the Old Town Hall until the early 1900s. It was here that the count was undertaken for the country’s first parliamentary election by secret ballot. The Nelson Room also houses the last remaining plaster cast of Nelson’s death scene from Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square.
Meet in the Assembly Rooms on the 1st floor, 5 minutes before start time. A lift is available to access the 1st floor rooms, though for those with mobility issues there could be some steps in other areas.
- Accessible Toilet
- Baby Changing Facilities
- Hearing Aid Loop
- Wheelchair Accessible