Sign up for the Wakefield Cathedral Abseil Fundraiser and take your fundraising to new heights!
Is there a cost?
- If you are raising funds for MY Hospitals Charity, or another charity, the charge is a £65 booking fee which is payable to secure your place.
- If you wish to abseil, but not for a specific charity, the charge is for £100, £35 of which goes towards the upkeep and maintenance of the cathedral.
- If you wish to raise money for the cathedral, the fee will be waived, but ask that you raise a minimum of £100 and get in touch with Wakefield Cathedral for a sponsorship form or JustGiving details.
Can I sign up on the day?
To ensure that you are allocated a time slot, we recommend signing up before the event.
I am under 18, can I take part?
The event is suitable for anyone over the age of 13, provided the harness fits properly.
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and must have a parent or guardian sign the consent form on their behalf.
Is there a maximum age?
We don’t have a maximum age limit, we do however require you to be in a good state of health and able to climb the tower stairs in order to reach the platform.
What should I wear or bring?
- Waterproof jacket
- Trainers, not slip on shoes
- Warm and comfortable clothing (not denim)
- Hat / gloves / sunhat
- Bobbles for long hair
- Sun screen / sunglasses if required
- Hand sanitiser
- Face mask
How safe is abseiling?
This event is being run by Carnegie Great Outdoors instructors who are fully qualified and highly experienced, ensuring that abseiling is very safe. They use industry approved ropes which can hold around 3 tonnes. The event is fully insured, risk assessed and all the instructors are first aiders.
Which part of the cathedral will I be abseiling down?
You will be abseiling from the tower platform to the ground. Access to the tower platform will be via 170 internal narrow medieval stone spiral stairs.
How far will I be abseiling?
164 ft high, or 50 metres.
Venue opening hours
Monday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tuesday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wednesday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thursday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Friday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday : 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday : 8:00 am - 4:00 pm