Free event Family friendly
The National Coal Mining Museum’s fantastic team of volunteers are a great support to the work we do, specifically above ground and behind the scenes.
Their volunteers support the museum in sharing the stories behind the industry and communities, ensure visitors have a fantastic day out and help the team to care for their historic objects.
You don’t have to have worked in the mining industry or know very much about coal mining at all. Curiosity, enthusiasm and a willingness to try something new is what they’re looking for.
This Volunteer Open Day, the Museum are looking to expand their team! They are looking to recruit volunteers who can support them in a range of ways including:
- Welcoming visitors to the site
- Facilitating activities for visitors
- Tour guiding (above ground)
- Demonstrating equipment (weekends and school holidays only)
- Supporting with school trips
- Leading activities on our Nature Trail
- Creative writing as part of Voices in the Coalshed (on site or remotely)
- Helping to facilitate under 5’s workshops (Wednesday only)
If you’re interested in volunteering, come along to the next on-site Volunteer Open Days on Thursday 2 and Saturday 4 November 2023, 11am-3pm, to meet the team, discover more about the Museum and find the role that’s right for you.
Venue opening hours
Monday : Closed
Tuesday : Closed
Wednesday : 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
Thursday : 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
Friday : 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday : 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday : 9:45 am - 4:00 pm
- Accessible Car Parking
- Accessible Toilet
- Assistance Dogs Welcome