In medieval times this area became part of the open farmland between Wakefield (to the east) and the “Outwood” (to the north-west). The ridge and furrow patterns in the south-west of the park show evidence of these fields.
By 1845 the fields had been enclosed by hedgerows so that animals could be kept inside. The oldest hedgerow trees on the site have horizontal trunks.
During the 19th century a railway line was built across the valley to link Wakefield and Dewsbury. This is no longer in use but the course is marked by a footpath and a cycle track.
The site is now a designated local nature reserve. The meadows contain a mix of wildflowers which are best seen in late spring to early summer. Keep an eye out for butterflies such as the orange tip.
Look above the grass and you may see a sparrowhawk with its looping flight or a hovering kestrel hunting. Listen out for a tawny owl or woodpecker. The ponds attract the odd kingfisher as well as grey heron, coot and mallard duck.
Kids will love burning off energy in the playground or playing a match on the football pitch.
There is free parking off Wrenthorpe Lane.